SOE Congress, Geneva, June 2011
Please join us for the SOE YO activities at the Congress in Geneva this year. We consider YOs to be in training, or in their first 5 years of independent practice.
SOE YO Lounge:
This is the ideal location for YOs to relax in between conference sessions. Come meet other YOs from around Europe and the world in a comfortable environment with complementary food, refreshments and WiFi.
SOE YO Symposia:
Please attend our symposia organised by SOE YO for young ophthalmologists. There is a session on avoiding complications in cataract surgery, aimed for young ophthalmologists. Please arrive early as this session was very popular at the last congress. We are also very pleased to be collaborating with the American Academy of Ophthalmology YOs for a symposium on international issues relevant to YOs. This spans many interesting topics rarely addressed in a congress setting.
Sunday 5th June, 08.15 – 09.45
Think or sink: avoiding complications in cataract surgery
Moderators: Brian Little, Larry Benjamin, United Kingdom
- Surgical complications: how we learn and why we fail
- The small pupil: when and how to enlarge
- Capsular staining: indications and techniques
- Rhexis retrieval: the life-saver
- Zonular deficiency: CTRs and capsule anchors
- Vitreous loss: prevention and management
Tuesday 7th June, 08.15 – 09.45
Joint session with American Academy of Ophthalmology YOs / European Society of Ophthalmology YOs
Young ophthalmologists in international ophthalmology
Moderators: Goran Bencic (Croatia), Ioana Rusu (Romania) Robert Melendez (US)
- Diversity in surgical training across Europe: what is the state of play?
Andrew Scott, United Kingdom
- EBO: exams, logbooks and residency exchange
Wagih Aclimandos, United Kingdom
- UEMS: what happens after we become licensed – the difficulties!
Constantino Bianchi, Italy
- How to arrange a fellowship in the United States
Harry Roux, Switzerland
- From Europe to the UK – how to arrange training abroad
Radka Martinkova, Czech Republic
- The impact of universal healthcare in the United States for young ophthalmologists
Cynthia Bradford, United States
- AAO young ophthalmologists: the evolution and the future
Ruth Williams, United States
SOE YO Reception:
Please join us for the SOE YO Reception on Sunday 5 June 17.30-18.30, in the YO lounge. This will be great opportunity to make important connections with fellow YOs from around Europe and the world. There will be drinks and canapés, and SOE leadership will be attending to talk to us as well. See you there!
We would like to thank Allergan for their support which has made the SOE YO Lounge and Reception possible.