The Global Ophthalmology Awards Program (GOAP) – is a unique initiative established by Bayer in 2012 to support research projects that advance scientific understanding of retinal diseases. Almost 60 research grants, totaling US$2.7million, have so far been awarded to support a range of innovative ophthalmology research projects. Last year, 12 awards were presented.
In 2018, the research focus of GOAP is Molecular mechanisms of choroidal neovascularization and macular edema and applications will be assessed based on scientific merit, innovation and potential impact by an independent expert faculty group led by Dr Jennifer Arnold MBBS (hons), FRANZCO, and Professor Quan Dong Nguyen MD, MSc, FAAO, members of the Grants Review and Awards Committee (GRAC).
A GOAP grant could enable you to:
- Make significant contributions to research in ophthalmology
- Complete further investigations/experiments
- Contribute to tangible benefits for patients with retinal disorders
- Improve patient access to high-quality eye care
- Increase disease understanding and dissemination of scientific knowledge through publications
Categories of awards available
- Fellowship project award – for applicants who have completed ophthalmology training and their research proposal is part of training to become a retinal specialist
- Research award – for applicants who hold an MD/PhD and are affiliated with a facility that carries out ophthalmology research
Go to the GOAP Website and Submit a brief Letter of Intent summarizing your main objectives. Submission deadline is March 30, 2018.
This is an exciting opportunity to support your important research initiatives to improve treatment outcomes and patient quality of life through effective management of retinal diseases.