YO Symposium October 2021
Dr. Ashraful Huq Ridoy.
Founder and President,
Bangladesh YO Society
A/Prof. Marcus Ang – Secretary of APAO YO Committee, AAO YO International Committee Member and Past-Chair of Singapore Society of Ophthalmology YO Chapter (2018-2020)
Every situation creates opportunity for a new beginning. In the COVID-19 pandemic, the Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) conducted our first-ever virtual congress. The YO Symposium was one of the most anticipated sessions, built up by months of social media campaigns and the promise of new YO awards.
Together with the YOs from all around the world including AAO YO and SOE YO, we had an interactive and dynamic session. Dr. Seng Kheong Fang (YO Chair) and A/Prof. Marcus Ang presented several YO Awards, including:
- Best YO Presentation: (1st prize) Dr. Hong Da Chou, Taiwan; (2nd) Dr. Bhavya Gorimanipalli, India.
- Best YO Surgical Video Award: Dr. Aarti Heda, India.
- Top YO Influencer Award: Dr. Kendrick Shih, Hong-Kong.
- YO Mentor Award: Dr. May Zun Aung Win, Myanmar.
- Best YO Award: Dr. Ashraful Huq, Bangladesh.
We also announced the launch of an inaugural APAO YO Rising Star Program, which will equip APAO YOs with tools that will benefit their clinical, business, and professional development. As we look forward to the end of the pandemic and the return of in-person meetings, we hope to working closely with our fellow international YOs from around the world, especially in Europe!