SOE YO Activities at WOC 2012
Education Without Borders – the Future for Young Ophthalmologists
This session has been developed jointly by the YO committees of MEACO, SOE and AAO. The theme for the session is education, the issues young ophthalmologists across the globalising world are now facing, and how best to make the most of opportunities, and face challenges.
The session will take the form of a chat-show, hosted by a MEACO representative (Eddie Legodi), and speakers will be the guests on the chat-show. Each topic will be addressed primarily using a question and answer session.
The session topics will be:
· Setting up residency programmes in the Middle East – The Arab Board (Saleh Saif, Abu Dhabi (MEACO))
· Opportunities and resources available for establishing residency programmes (Sanjay Kedhar, US (AAO))
· European Board of Ophthalmology – Europe harmonising ophthalmic education (Wagih Aclimandos (EBO President), UK (SOE))
· Arranging a fellowship abroad – pearls and pitfalls (Manal Taryam, (MEACO))
· Surgical training – how do we set the standards? (George Saleh, UK (SOE))
· Modern social media in ophthalmology (Tamara Fountain, US (AAO))